Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Oliebollen Gebakkraam

It’s past 10PM in the Netherlands and in less than 2 hours it will be !

This afternoon I went to the centre of Utrecht to buy oliebollen for the new year’s celebration and this is what greeted me when I stepped out of Hoog Catharijne: an Oliebollen Gebakkraam with quite a long queue of customers.


In the Netherlands, oliebollen (oliebol - singular, fried doughnut balls with raisins and apple bits, usually sprinkled with powdered sugar on top) is the symbol for New Years. New Years Eve and New Years Day are not complete without oliebollen.

I bought 2 packs of oliebollen and a bottle of Prosecco (boycotting champagne this new year for a change). Hmm, I think its time to warm up the oliebollen...

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE!

Oliebollen and Appelbeignet, taken at work last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment