Saturday, April 23, 2011

Going for a scooter ride in the mountains of Lesvos, Greece and a lunch stopover in Vafeios

When Dutchman and I are not doing this, this, this, this, this, and this(this one is unforgettable)during our holiday last summer in Lesvos, Greece, we were out and about exploring the island with our rental scooter.











One of the afternoons we took the scooter for a mountain ride nearby. We were not planning on driving far, we’re just going for a ride, enjoy the views and the fresh sea air and then have late lunch at a taverna in Vafeios that I read about—Taverna Vafios.



In Mithymna, they are offering donkey rides to Vafeios where participants rest for lunch at Taverna Vafios and back. Indeed, Dutchman and I saw the donkey tour group as we went up the mountain. The poor donkeys were so cute, I don’t think I could ever let one of these animals carry me.



On other matters, I have become an expert in taking pictures behind the Dutchman on a moving scooter.








More pictures below... actually, LOTS of pictures =)









A very typical afternoon scene in the mountain villages of Lesvos.





An interesting way of piling up tables and chairs. It almost looked like art installation.











Here were are at Taverna Vafios having a light lunch of Greek salad and yoghurt with honey and crushed walnuts.









I prefer Greek yoghurt with crushed walnuts than with whole walnuts.





It was late for lunch, we almost had the taverna to ourselves except for a table in the corner with English holidaymakers.









Stuffed zucchini flowers.









Stops to enjoy the views... that is Turkey from the distance.











I really, really, really miss summer now.



I think I need to get out of this country for a long weekend. But where? It is still cold everywhere....


No comments:

Post a Comment