Thursday, November 5, 2015

Closure Systems on Bicycle Bags




Cristobal &Co Custom Pannier
Cristobal Pannier




Having now owned and tried a number of bicycle bags, one of the features I pay close attention to is the closure - particularly on bags I use every day. Many classic bicycle bags are fitted with traditional buckles. While I love the idea of it, in practice I find that I fiddle with the closure way too much every time I want to open or close the bag.







Carradice Kendal Pannier
Carradice Kendal Pannier






And with bags that use really thin straps, there is the additional issue of the straps fraying and breaking off from frequent use.







Zimbale Bag, Closure Detail
Zimbale 7L Saddlebag



Zimbale bags use a quick "Sam Browne" style closure that does not require undoing the buckle. This is the biggest reason I favour my Zimbale over my near-identical Carradice; it simply takes me less time to open and close the bag. I've had this bag for 2 years now, and over time there has been some stretching in the leather eyelets, but not so much that the closure comes undone.






Philosophy Burnside Pannier, Closure
Philosophy Pannier



Philosophy bags use a snap closure, also independent of the buckle. It works well and does not seem to stress the leather. I sometimes worry about the security, but it has not come undone as of yet.






OYB Pannier, Closure
OYB Pannier




Some vintage Swiss Army bags feature an interesting "latch" system where a stiff cord is inserted into a metal loop. It is simple and secure, though the cord may need to be replaced after some use.







Ironweed Pannier, Detail

Ironweed Pannier(more pictures and review soon)





Nylon cords with plastic buckle closures seem pretty easy and convenient, but it's a system I haven't used until just now.





Rivendell Sam Hillborne vs Royal H Randonneur Collaboration
Ostrich Handlebar Bag & Berthoud Medium Handlebar Bag



I love the simplicity of elastic closures. But in my experience, it's not always easy to get the tension of the elastics just right, and I've been in situations where various parts of my handlebar bag have flung open en route. The elastics also tend to stretch out over time, so they may need to be tightened or replaced after some use.






My Very Full Fastrider Pannier
Fastrider Deluxe Shopper Pannier



Zipper and velcro closures work nicely - except when the bag is full and cannot close completely.









Po Campo Pannier, Outer Pocket
Po Campo Loop Pannier



All closure systems seem to have their pros and cons - from ease of use, to security, to durability. Overall I tend to favour the quick and easy methods, though I do wish I had the patience and digital dexterity for tiny buckles.



What closure system do you prefer on bicycle bags?

No comments:

Post a Comment