Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Lau Pa Sat festival dining and what happens when you overeat!

For months I have been craving for real Asian food, made from real Asian ingredients and spices. So while I was in the airplane from Dubai enroute to Singapore, I have been daydreaming of Asian chows, hehe. I cannot wait to indulge! I finally arrived in Singapore just before lunch and we went straight to my sisters’ place and deposited my baggage, then we set off for some grub to a nearby hawker place. I had lovely and hearty prawn noodles. Ummmm, exactly what I needed after the flight, something warm. The rest of the afternoon I slept. Massive jetlag. I have to rest and catch up on sleep because in the evening I am going to eat again! *grin*



For my first dinner in Singapore, we went to Lau Pa Sat. I have never been here and SisterJ and Myrrh were pretty sure I would love the place and the food. They live in the Central Region in Singapore and Raffles is just one ride with the metro.









Lau Pa Sat on Raffles Quay

Website: Lau Pa Sat



A quick look at the website and this is the history of the building:



‘Lau Pa Sat (or ‘old market’ in the Hokkien dialect) was Singapore's first wet market that dates back over 150 years ago to the time of Sir Stamford Raffles, the founder of Singapore. It was subsequently converted into a famous gourmet paradise and has been gazetted as a national monument since 1973.’



Indeed, a taste of Singapore’s past served fresh.















Isn’t this place beautiful? So Victorian-style. Monumental I should say. I am loving the latticework going on. Wrought iron, lattice work, milky white hues. It’s like an oversized gazebo from England.



As you might have been aware of, I am a culture, history and architecture lover, so yes, SisterJ and Myrrh were right on the dot. I love the place! Thank you so much girls for bringing me here. Salamat. We will come back here though during the day, okay.



It was a weekday when we were here and we arrived quite late—blame it on me for oversleeping because of my jet lag, thus many vendors in the Lau Pa Sat main dining area were already closed. So we went outside where there’s more choices. Oooh, the excitement is building up. My mind is running. My palates are ready. I want some seafood! I also want some vegies! Kangkong!!! I want them all spicy! Ach, piggishness strikes!

















It proved difficult to order because I want to taste a little bit of everything? You can practically order from any of the food stalls, it does not matter where you sit, they will bring you the food you ordered. And the menus are long. So much to choose from, it is a bit overwhelming.



Asia is the ultimate food mecca in the world and Singapore is no exemption either being the queen bee when it comes cheap food thrills and the food hawker enterprise. The country of course has a vast array of hygienic/clinical restaurants but why would I go there when I can have these somewhere else, like back home? I will stick to the local theme of the food game and satisfy my tastebuds with local eats at the hawkers. For now, for this trip. And I know I am in good hands here at Lau Pa Sat.



This is what we finally ordered



Food for three hungry people...








Spicy Kangkong (water spinach), I missed this soooooo much.







Spicy Chilli Crab.







Chicken Pandan with lots of chilli sauce, hehe.







Stir-Fried Egg Noodles with tauge and choy sum.








Steamed Choy Sum (or could be Gai Lan) vegetables with fried garlic and oyster sauce.







Beside Lau Pa Sat building is a street that has been closed for diners. SisterJ and Myrrh told me that the street is a normal functioning street with road traffic during the day. It is only in the evening that the road is closed from traffic and transforms into a roadside extension dining area of Lau Pa Sat. Lots of vendors grill satays here. This street smells so good.



And I heard that during the weekend, on Friday and Saturday it is a festival here where many working professionals get together for booze, extend their happy hours to dinner, and into the night. Cheap beer, cheap food, al fresco dining, fun atmosphere, all in all, just cool.













The aftermath effect



After having had our fill, this is what happened....



Experiencing tummy pain. Severe pain. Bloated tummy. My sides are hurting. I could not stand straight! I had to walk slowly like a limping old woman while my sister helps me. What is happening to me?!!!



Well obviously I got sick because I over ate and I am not going to apologise for this behaviour (hehe)! If you look at the pictures though, there were really not a lot of food. I mean those 4 servings are for 3 people. How can that be too much? Unfortunately, I’m one of those unlucky people with small, sensitive and strange stomachs, so when I overeat, I will most likely get sick. Literally sick that I cannot even freaking move my body. Not joking. The cure is time, so I usually stand immobile for half an hour and then I move around a little bit (light walk) for another half an hour.



Plus the spice and chili. I had too much that my stomach went ballistic, it ballooned. This on top of the pain and discomfort. Luckily they have manzanilla back home in the apartment.







On the positive side (see I am a half full glass type of person), this is one of the reasons why I think I will never ever become too fat to handle (flabs and those little love handles are excluded okay). Because my body at some point surrenders, it cannot tolerate over eating.



Nevertheless, this looks like a [insert sarcasm] very promising start of my Singapore trip. It’s just been day 1! Goodness heavens.


No comments:

Post a Comment