Sunday, January 8, 2012

Reptiles in the garden



Me: Look at this plant!

Friend on garden tour with me: Wow.

Me: The leaves look like they're made of scales. What do you want to bet that it's got snake in its name?

Friend: Or alligator!



We asked our hosts, and sure enough, it's Microsorium musifolium, Alligator Fern.*

Cool! I think I would have used snake, though.

Speaking of which, I spotted a big rat snake sneaking under the chicken coop yesterday. (Actually he was just sitting there, but he had a very sneaky air about him.) I ran for the camera, but he had slithered away by the time I got back.

We've been using golf balls as laying enticements. They say, "lay your egg here, this spot is great" in language that chickens almost can't help but agree with.

Lately though, the golf balls have disappeared. That snake had a suspiciously round lump near the end of its tail. And a stomach ache, I imagine.

-----

* Also known as Crocodile Fern. You will also see the botanical name as Microsorum musifolium (without the last "i" in the first word).

No comments:

Post a Comment