Friday, September 19, 2008

Chocolate making in Brussels

Brussels is the chocolate centre of the world and I had the chance to attend a chocolate making session in the European capital last month.

If you have been reading this blog, you would know of my penchant for anything else other than sweets. Now, I was in Brussels for work, and after the business meeting we were given the option to participate in a beer tasting session or a chocolate making session.

I was quite confused about the agenda actually as it was a last-minute surprise, thus I ended up following the women to another location where the chocolate making session is held. Had I known about the beer tasting option, I would have changed course.

We first had a chocolate history lesson and some chocolate snacking. Afterwards we were asked to dress in plastic gowns, plastic head caps and plastic shoe covers before we start the actual hands-on activity. The whole dressing up process was like a déjà vu to me. More than a decade ago I used to sell enterprise software applications and services to the manufacturing industry in the Philippines. By protocol, visitors to these production sites are covered head to toe with head caps, lab gowns, and shoe covers. This was a standard ritual for me back then.

Anyway, we proceeded to the basement of Planete Chocolat and started the chocolate making session.

Honestly, I don’t think I paid any attention at all. I was too busy taking pictures and just going along with the flow to have a good comprehension of the whole chocolate making process, haha.

It was a nice event though. At the end of the chocolate making session we were treated to a hot cup of chocolate drink. We were also able to bring home the chocolates we made. A handy present for the Dutchman.


Most of these pictures were taken by my Nokia Mini phone and a few from my iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment